2.27.2005

Female laboratory (I)

I used to hate clothes. Hated everything they stand for. Consumerism. Status. Surface with no depth. Money. Normal lives. Discos. Jobs. Ceremonies. Rituals. Religion. Attracting girls for the wrong reasons. Showing off. Social economical and cultural labelling. Absence of originality. Faking personality. Easing the pain that makes us better people...
But I've changed. I questioned my attitude. Wondering for the motivation of my hate I understood it was a defence. Hate is almost always based on fear. A shield that helped me standing away from structures and events I couldn't deal with. After understanding this I've just decided to be careful about all the junkie clothes I have and only use them to paint and work in my sculptures. Just to try my theory out, I used a few black normal clothes. Girls actually started talking to me on the streets out of nowhere:
-Hey sexy... - I heard from a half closed window.
-Hi handsome!" - a couple of them said.
Sluts... I never imagined a jumper and some trousers were that important for them. I haven't changed my attitude because even if they like me it doesn't mean I like the reasons why they start talking to me. Image making is an interesting activity but on canvas, photography, sculpture, print, etching, drawing... Do you think I should do the same with my body and clothes? I think I'll just let myself be. Whatever happens, happens.

No comments: