3.15.2005

Introduction

There are several examples of texts that were vital for the course of events through this last century, many of them were written by critics and artists. To explore the importance of writing I decided to research two textual works I believe are still influent in contemporary art.
In this essay I will embrace a subject specific analysis on Duchamp’s Green and White Box. These texts were a great influence in the last century’s art and were studied and scrutinized by both researchers and artists.
The subject I chose to write about was the 4th dimension. This idea is interesting as a popular myth (it used to be) and also as a concept which evolved through literature, geometry, art and physics.
To start developing my ideas I’ll start with an art historical perspective on the 4th Dimension. Then I am going to explore some ideas on the Green and the White Boxes searching for Duchamp’s use of non-Euclidian geometries and 4D references. Finally I will try to succinctly question the way most art criticism, and Linda Henderson in particular, rejects the connections between Einstein’s Relativity and Duchamp’s work.

No comments: