11.23.2004

Art Influenced quotes (just like found imagery)

Zaratustra didn’t like quotes because they showed you the top of the mountain but not the way to get there. The connections are built by our experience, reading and thought. I don’t want to show the way to anyone so… lets just share moments I’ve enjoyed lately. Let’s fly on the back of the eagle.

Here comes a predictable one:
“The only real influence I've ever had was myself.” (Edward Hopper)
He would have loved the one from Salazar (Portuguese dictator of the 20th century):
“Proudly alone.”

Something studio tutors often forget:
Whatever I have looked at is an influence, but at the centre of the work there must be feeling. (Lucero Isaac) don’t know who he is but the quote was in the internet and makes perfect sense. I would like some tutors to think about it. I know it’s simple but why do they forget?
And it’s not because it looks like that it is. “But is it art?” is a stupid question but not because everything is:
Art isn't everything. It's just about everything. (Gertrude Stein)
This is my best finding so far.

This one is for my mother:
Nothing has a stronger influence on their children than the unlived lives of their parents. (Carl Gustav Jung)

The space in between poems shows us:
Art comes into being in that abstract interval between a thought and reality – and no one – not even the artist who created it, can remeasure the influences that caused it. (Edgar A. Payne)

For Ian Hays:
Example is not the main thing in influencing others. It is the only thing. (Albert Schweitzer)

All art is infested by other art. (Leo Steinberg)

No comments: