10.28.2004

Duchamp and Dossantos

I want to do my dissertation on Duchamp not only because he is a big influence in my studio practice, a stimulating artist, but also because there is some danger and randomness growing around any work on him. Ian Hays, my tutor, is absolutely passionate about the readymades, the large glass, his writings and other works. Above all things, he loves connecting him with literature like Joyce... I would love to imagine how he would adapt to the recent technology by analyzing the artists he influenced in the XXth century. My work wouldn't be about chance and accident which were kind of always present when artists started getting some input on him. It would be about influence. A topic that always worried me. The influence of Duchamp in the art world.
Let’s start with the thinking activity. I'm ready now. My writing skills are degrading because it's 7 in the morning but my instincts are fighting the unknown with wishes, dreams and random thought. The fluid goes down my spine and embraces a 9 centimetre trip on my bone marrow. "Little people" crawl over the desk. "I can see [little] dead people"! They want to kill me but I still like the way they talk.

No comments: